Monday 13 October 2014

A colour challenge for Breast Cancer awareness

Cancer affects all too many people.  Whether it's breast cancer, ovarian cancer, pancreatic cancer, or another one, simply hearing the diagnosis sends chills down the spine of the patient and his/her family.  We've lost a number of people in our extended family to cancer.  My husband's mother and father both died of cancer as did his uncle and a cousin.  In my own family, I've been in that chair, hearing the dread words but in my case it was curable and I am happy and so very grateful that I am a survivor and have been for thirty years.

I enjoy the challenges at ColourQ and this one is no exception.  The colours appeal to me.  But, quite honestly, even if they didn't I would enter this challenge simply because of its theme.


Having been in that chair, hearing the diagnosis, the first thing that came to mind as I considered what I would do for this card was "keep calm".  Well, I have that stamp set and, even though it's retired, decided that it would be perfect for my sentiment.  

I used Naturals White as my base and then added a layer of Basic Black and a layer of the retired Pretty in Pink Designer stack pattern.  For my small rectangle I began with a base of Basic Black and then attached a layer of Whisper White onto which I had stamped my sentiment over a background of stamped script from the retired Strength & Hope stamp set.  I attached the small rectangle with Dimensionals and added three narrow banners:  the top one and bottom one in Basic Black and the middle one in Silver Foil.  I drew white "stitches" on the black banners and around three sides of the small rectangle.  The Silver Foil was embossed with my Decorative Dots embossing folder.

I added the butterfly from the Strength & Hope stamp set which I first heat embossed using Silver embossing powder and then fussy cut (including the antennae).  Finally, I added several Rhinestones and my card was done.

































For more cards using these colours, check out colourQ.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely card, Heidi, very fitting for a cancer survivor! Love all the things used here especially the butterfly! Thanks for sharing your story and card with us at the colourQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your comments, Sylvia. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  2. Your butterfly is beautiful and your card just lovely!! Thanks so much for joining us at the ColourQ! What a blessing that you beat this awful disease and are sharing your story today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa. I think it's good to raise awareness in any way possible.

      Delete

I welcome your comments or questions.