Thursday 4 January 2018

Experimenting With Colour

I'm still house-sitting and so my supplies are limited.  As I mentioned, I brought my Brushos over in order to experiment with them.  I also found a few small stamp sets of Distress Inks.  Today I decided that I really wanted to try out a brand  new stamp set which I got before Christmas but then, well, the holidays got in the way.  It's one of the sets with which I fell in love from the new Occasions Catalogue.  The name is Waterfront, but the look of the stamps is that of a water-colour painting.  It's intriguing and, scant supplies or not, today was the day I would try it out.

I took a piece of Whisper White for my stamping.  At home I probably would have chosen to use water-colour paper, but I'm not home.  I wanted to see if it might be possible to stamp with the Brushos.  Wetting down a folded paper towel, I sprinkled a line of the Prussian Blue Brusho crystals.  As they reacted to the water in the paper towel, I imagined them going "snap, crackle, pop".  Once they were a solid colour, I took the river shape and stamped it into the blue and then stamped the colour onto my Whisper White.  I was happy to see it had worked well.  There was even a certain amount of "Brusho" texture because some of the crystals were clearly darker than others.  Then I did the same with some of the Moss Green Brusho crystals and stamped the grass behind the blue river. 

NOTE:  The Brusho crystals stained the photopolymer stamps and the stain does not remove.

For my mountains, trees, and scattering of "gravel", therefore, I used the Distress inks which I had on hand.  The only green I had was the Faded Shutters and I wound up having to stamp the image four times in order to get the saturation of green that I was hoping for.

Finally I added a moon and for that used the Antique Linen Distress ink.  Not entirely happy with that, I took the Gamboge and Yellow Brusho Crystals and mixed them on a wet paper towel.  Stamping with that made the moon the colour I was hoping for.


I can hardly wait to be home with all my normal supplies on hand, to see what else I can do with the Waterfront stamp set.

I'm entering this card into the Inkspirational Challenge #151 which is all about stamping.  Mine may be a bit unconventional, but it was entirely stamping.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, even though you had minimal supplies, you've created a wonderful mountains/lake scene! So pretty - and very similar to some of the landscapes we see when we go hiking (in warm weather!). Thank you for sharing your creativity in the Inkspirational gallery!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments or questions.